Tuesday, October 12, 2010

L.A. Downtown - The Nickel Diner

What can I say about this Gem that hasn't already been said by everyone who's ever eaten there.
What a great place, that was originally a diner with the same name in the '40's. Or as Diner as it can be in the middle of a block in downtown L.A. Growing up in Jersey, we had those aluminum train car looking things that were the real diners of another era.
But, sadly, most of them are gone, or over re-modeled to look more like a restaurant than a diner.
The food at the Nickel, where do I begin? While they are famous for their Maple Bacon Doughnut, that's only a small part of what's cooking here.
I was just in again Saturday night, and once again had the Beef Stew with Mushrooms, which is served over Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes. One of the greatest dishes, as far as I am concerned, on the menu. The flavor is incredible!
But, believe me there isn't a bad item in the place. I finally tried the Chicken Pozole. I'm a big fan of Pozole, and this one did not disappoint me in the least, wonderful!
The Hamburgers, Double Stuffed Chicken (which is incredible), the Catfish and the Grilled Veggie Pasta Puttanesca (which is one of the better pasta dishes around) are some of the most flavorful meals you will ever have. Desserts, wow, you will want one of everything. Red Velvet Cake is a highlight, but every one is a delicious treat.
The two women who own it are doing incredible things with some very basic dishes. I could make this at home, but believe me, it would never taste the same as their version. The seasonings, vegetables, choice of ingredients that they use, are comfort food above and beyond what is out there in other diners.
I highly recommend if you are in or near downtown Los Angeles, that you make a point of going for Lunch or Dinner. You will not be disappointed.
Nickel Diner 524 S. Main Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012 http://nickeldiner.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment